PROVING a gun means examining it to ensure that it is unloaded not only to your satisfaction but also to the satisfaction of the Range Conducting Officer and other people.
This is achieved by opening the bolt /action and examining the chamber to ensure it is empty and there is a breach flag in place.
Safety at home
- Keep the gun and ammunition under lock and key.
- Keep the gun and ammunition separate where possible.
- Keep guns and ammunition away from children, (train children in the safety rules).
Safety in transit
- Carry your gun in a case and where possible, carry the ammunition separate.
- Keep the gun out of sight if carried in a car, put it in the boot and lock it.
- If you have to leave the gun , immobilise it by taking out the action.